[H-GEN] out of memory?!

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Sun Jun 16 08:30:21 EDT 2002

On Sun, 16 Jun 2002, Sandra Milne wrote:

> well, i typed 'free' at the console. Another clue was the half-dozen or so

In Linux's free command, checkout the buffer & cache entries as those can
be flushed and that memory allocated to processes quite quickly.  The
system always tries to keep some memory actually free to avoid the need to
flush cache each & every time some memory is needed for an application.

> >If gdm cannot run reliably, you'd be best to try a better
> >program (xdm comes to mind).  And I'm surprised that you'd want
> >to run either of those on a gateway ...
>
> I was experimenting with running remote X sessions using a client on my

If you just want to remote display from the box you don't need a display
manager (gdm,kdm,xdm,etc) running at all.  They are only for logging into
the box.

If you meant that you were trying to use your work station as an Xterminal
to login to the router box then yep, a display manager would be needed.

Has the problem reoccured?
Rob

-- Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert at timetraveller.org  ICQ: 104781119
   avon: up 8 days, 21:19,  1 user,  load average: 0.02, 0.01, 0.00