[H-GEN] out of memory?!

Sandra Milne silne at optushome.com.au
Sun Jun 16 04:40:00 EDT 2002

At 16:47 16/06/2002 +1000, Greg Black wrote:
>[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and     ]
>[ Unix-related topics. Posts from non-subscribed addresses will vanish. ]
>
>Sandra Milne wrote:
>
>| I just had 4 ssh sessions to my gateway killed (not all at once, in a row).
>| I hooked up a monitor and found that there was only 6 meg of memory free!!!
>
>How do you know?  (This is a serious question -- it's very
>difficult to interpret "free memory" data provided by Unix
>systems, and I expect this is true of Unix-like systems.)

well, i typed 'free' at the console. Another clue was the half-dozen or so
"Out of memory: process killed (bash)" messages on the screen after I
plugged in a monitor.

>The box I'm writing this on claims to have only 1M of memory
>free at this minute, out of the 384M of real memory that it has.
>But it has only ever used 10M out of its 1G of swap in the 157
>days that it has been running.  If I start another 20 processes
>right now (on top of the 241 that are running), they will all
>start instantly and won't have the slightest idea that memory is
>tight.  That's because there is in fact no shortage of memory on
>this box.

Well, when the box can't deactivate the swap space and generates
neverending "Out of memory: process killed (init)" errors, that would be
another clue that something is seriously wrong.

>If gdm cannot run reliably, you'd be best to try a better
>program (xdm comes to mind).  And I'm surprised that you'd want
>to run either of those on a gateway ...

I was experimenting with running remote X sessions using a client on my
machine. I have no idea how to make this work with xdm however, as the
documentation that came with the client I was trying to use is somewhat on
the light side. However I had thought I'd uninstalled gdm as I finished
experimenting with it several weeks ago. I think the problem was caused by
my having shut the process down and gotten distracted before I had a chance
to uninstall it. Then I changed some hardware in the gateway on Friday
night, and when the box came back up it attempted to run gdm as it was
still listed in rc2.d

Sandra.

silne at optushome.com.au
ICQ: 7632763