[H-GEN] AN OFFBEAT QUESTION

hphillips at 4ward.com.au hphillips at 4ward.com.au
Mon Jun 10 03:54:59 EDT 2002

> ....for values of "OFFBEAT" vanishingly close to "OFFTOPIC", eh? For
> Windows advice, you're probably looking for a different group, but at
> the very least you should be on the chat@ list, not the general@ one.
>
> On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 09:11:07AM +1000, Rick Phillips wrote:
> > On Sun, 2002-06-09 at 21:23, Sarah Hollings wrote:
> > >Does anyone know if there is a limit to the number of Windows 2000 Pro
> >     >clients which can be connected to a Win2000 Pro machine being used as a
> >     >file server?  I have heard that 10 is the limit.
> >     >If 10 is the limit, is there a workaround - Samba for instance?
>
> Sure. Install one of the Linux distros (after downloading them from the
> net at a HUMBUG meeting, or getting them on CD), set up samba for file
> and printer sharing, uw-imap and postfix for email, iptables and squid
> for Internet connection sharing, and whatever else you need. No per-seat
> fees for the server (you'll still have to pay per-seat if you want to run
> Windows ($200 or more each at OEM prices) and Office ($500 or so each
> at OEM prices) -- although there are free solutions to replace most of
> the functionality they provide too, depending on what you need).
>
> (And advice about the above, as opposed to Windows' licensing restrictions,
> would actually be on topic for this list...)

I don't know if it's possible but could they use the Mandrake server to do NAT
to the W2K box. The LM box could have two IP addresses on the same
network card (or two NICS) and the W2K box is on the second address range.

You have unlimited connections to the LM box and it does the translation to
the W2K box, as far as the W2K box is concerned it only has one connection
to it, the LM box, so that satisfiys the licence restrictions.

You could setup the LM box as the PDC which the W2K box uses for it's
authenitcation etc...

Regards
Harry