[H-GEN] Quality of Linux on the Desktop

Damian Bickhoff damian at hajime.ath.cx
Wed Jun 5 08:08:56 EDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 12:20, Ben Fowler wrote:
> In my not-so-humble opinion, I'm highly skeptical that Free software
> people can successfully argue that Linux/BSD/whatever is superior, or
> can come anywhere near challenging Windows on the desktop.

Well, I'm unsure of how "polished" they are, but there's always the K-12
LTSP project at [http://www.k12ltsp.org/].  They seem to rely on
OpenOffice, which I've been meaning to download for a while now, but
haven't really got around to doing.  There also seems to be an emphasis
on "functional" computing -- I skimmed past one part of the site which
gave me the impression that Reader Rabbit (and its ilk) are a bit
frivolous, and kids should be learning to use computers as a tool for
productivity. [0]

I also saw an article about a Melbourne Linux Users' Group implementing
a K12LTSP solution for a school, but it turned out to be Melbourne,
Florida.  Whoops.

[0] I'm in agreement with this.  A teacher can (well, hopefully) teach
better than a computer, and if you want entertainment, there's plenty of
that outside the computer room (or the corner where the computer lives,
depending on the size of the school).  Combining the two in some twisted
"edutainment" package doesn't seem terribly bright.
--
damian