[H-GEN] QLD Education

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Wed Jun 5 04:52:54 EDT 2002

Robert Brockway wrote:

| Many boxes I've setup or seen setup don't need admin
| interaction for months at a time (security excepting of course, but that
| is true of any OS).

Indeed, this is true.  Here's an indicator from one of my
customer sites that runs FreeBSD:

alpha         up 170+02:15,     0 users,  load 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
banjo         up 195+03:57,     0 users,  load 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
comet         up 170+02:12,     0 users,  load 1.00, 0.83, 0.45
dixie         up 170+02:13,     0 users,  load 0.91, 0.38, 0.15
eagle         up  16+08:23,     0 users,  load 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

They're pretty quiet now as the office there is closed and the
machines aren't doing much.  It's worth noting that the reboot
195 days ago was for a security patch to the OS that required a
reboot.  Staff shutdown three machines a few weeks later because
power was being turned off in the office where they were located
for several hours; and the last machine was rebooted a couple of
weeks ago when it was time for its UPS to get a new battery.

Those boxes just run and I do all the system admin work on them
for free because it's so little that it's not worth billing them
for it.

Greg