[H-GEN] Cathedral & the bazaar & algorithms / Data Structures.

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Tue Jun 4 05:27:45 EDT 2002

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 03:55:52PM +1000, Matthew Taylor wrote:
> On the algorithms front, I'm curious on reccomendations for a 'must
> have' data Structures & Algorithms reference.

_Algorithms in C_ by Robert Sedgewick is good if you're trying to use
the algorithms (or _.. in C++_ or _.. in Pascal_ or possibly _..in Java_,
whatever)

_Introduction to Algorithms_ by Cormen, Leiserson and Rivest is the one
generally used in CS courses, and is good if you want to understand
algorithms properly.

_The Art of Computer Programming_ by Knuth is canonical and rather deep,
but I haven't managed to get much use out of it, so... :-/ The original
editions are a bit out of date (heavy on the assembly-like language, and
focussing on algorithms for problems that don't really seem too relevant),
but there've been new editions out for ages so maybe they're more useful.

Then, of course, there are the O'Reilly "Master Algorithms in.." books,
which aren't bad either. I'm not sure why anyone would _want_ to master
algorithms in Perl of all things, but hey, you never know.

> [musing over whether 2 subjects in a post breaks netequitte..]

("etiquette" is spelt thus, hence "netiquette")

Cheers,
a ``Spelling Flames are always on topic!'' j

     ``BAM! Science triumphs again!''
                    -- http://www.angryflower.com/vegeta.gif