[H-GEN] samba (2.2.3) PDC and win98 client printer problems

Tony Nugent tony at linuxworks.com.au
Mon Jul 29 23:46:00 EDT 2002

On Tue Jul 30 2002 at 03:40, Tony Nugent wrote:

  [ I got back two copies of my post, if it was sent twice then my
  apologies for the clutter. ]

> To cut a long story stort, is there any (freely available) software
> that will give an NT box functionality as, and to use, unix LPD
> (port 515) network printing?  I'd like it to send its own print jobs

Thanks Ewan for pointing out that the "LPR Port" can be installed as
a "microsoft" tcp/ip service from the nt4 install disk (doh! :)

> [1] I am very impressed how much samba's PDC functionality has
> improved since 2.0, I'm also using it quite happily with LDAP.

I am very impressed, with both LDAP and samba.  This was my first
attempt at setting up a fully functional ldap server on a
"production" system.  It is working well...  no user accounts exist
in /etc/passwd, they are all in ldap databases.  I have sendmail
working with it (although I still need to fully migrate all the
/etc/mail/ databases).   Samba is also using it for that too - and
it has its own "plug-in" schema that allows all sorts of customised
non-default settings on a per user basis (like samba user home dir
and so on).  It can now appears to have almost full PDC
functionality now, the NT client boxes are finally working properly
with it with full trust relationships.  Great stuff.

Overall, after sorting out a few gotchyas this was not too painful
to set up (rh73 box).  I'm wondering if folks here would be
interested if I posted something on how I got it all up and running.
(Or perhaps I could put it on a web page...)

Cheers
Tony