[H-GEN] Mail setup

hphillips at 4ward.com.au hphillips at 4ward.com.au
Sun Jul 28 19:01:32 EDT 2002

> > The problems I am having is what program do I need to setup on the server so that
> > the workstations can access mail using IMAP?
>
> since you sound new to this I'd recommend uwash imapd, it requires no configuration
> and is totaly pamified thus your regular unix accounts will work with it.

I typed 'urpmi imap' at the prompt and it installed an imap server package for me.
I tried testing it but imap wasn't allowing connections. I edited the /etc/xinetd/imap
file and changed disable=yes to no. Then I found that xinetd wasn't installed, after
I installed xinetd IMAP works perfectly.

> > What program to I use to act as a SMTP server for the local clients.
>
> thats sendmail, for something with a config that approaches sanity you
> could also look at exim  (www.exim.org)

I installed just tried out sendmail and it works fine. I have configured Outlook Express
to use the server as the SMTP server. It works fine when it's connected to the internet.

> > The other thing to consider is how do I configure these so that it works something like this
> > 1. Domain is configured to be xxxx.bogus
> > 2. Local user 1 (LU1) sends mail to LU2 - mail server just passes it straight over to LU2
> > 3. LU1 sends mail to external address - mail server changes addresses (from and reply to)
> > from LU1 at xxxx.bogus to LU1 at xxxx.com.au
> if your using fetchmail i cant really see the point of needing to do this
> however your mta (i.e. sendmail,exim) can do both 2 and 3.

I worked out that all I had to do was configure Outlook Express on the workstation
with the address and reply to address.

What I need to know now is if the server is not connected to the internet (it's on dial-up)
then it should keep the outgoing mail until it is connected, right? How long will it keep
trying until it gives up? Can I increase this or change it so that it only tries to send when its
connected to the internet?

Regards
Harry

PS As so often happens, writing a request for help inspired me to try some stuff that I hadn't thought of before. Of course this happens AFTER I click on the 'Send Now' button.