[H-GEN] iptables talk > coverage wanted.

Nikolai Lusan nikolai at humbug.org.au
Sun Jul 28 04:43:19 EDT 2002

Just to knock a few things on the head right now, the talk I plan on
giving is on the basics of IP Filtering and IPTABLES. I will not be
giving people complete firewalls or any other stuff, I will be talking
about the concepts and methods involved in filtering and things to watch
out for. This is not a tutorial more of a lecture, and it is on the
_basic_ concepts not the ultimate internals. Things that will be
discussed are:
	Things a filter can do (NAT, MASQ, port forward ... etc.).
	Things to look for in designing a filter.
	How the linux IP Filter works.
	Similarities between ipchains and iptables.

If you want something more advanced or a tutorial with solutions handed
to you on a plate then this is not for you. However if you want to be
able to walk away with enough of an understanding to build your own
filtering solution you are probably going to be interested.

On a more general note I am a little dissapointed in the attitudes of
some members of this list, this club is supposed to be about sharing
knowledge and furthering your skills. People continue to ask for
solutions handed to them on a plate rather than trying to gather the
knowledge to do things for themselves, this does nothing for you if your
situation changes and you need to alter a solution.

Nikolai