[H-GEN] what to do with old P100, P200?

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Sun Jul 28 07:05:48 EDT 2002

Matthew Taylor wrote:

| This is more of a generic question 'what lightweight windows managers
| could I use to provide acceptable behaviour?'

The various fvwm incarnations (especially fvwm2 and fvwm95)
provide quite good performance using limited resources.

| I'd like to turn these into useful standalone machines, that can run
| netscape6 [...]

Netscape versions <= 3 are almost completely useless although
relatively lightweight; versions >= 4 are bloated monsters that
are still full of bugs and are a complete disgrace to the
programming craft or profession or whatever it is being called
this week.  Expecting decent performance in between crashes of
late Netscape versions on low power boxes is likely to be
intensely frustrating, as it's difficult to decide if the damn
thing has hung again or is just taking forever to do something.

If you have to run this junk, do it from a box that has a bit of
grunt and let the little boxes handle stuff that's more within
their reach.

Greg