[H-GEN] router woes (redhat specific?)

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Thu Jul 11 23:30:50 EDT 2002

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Matthew Taylor wrote:

> I know I should be able to re-compile the kernel. The major hangup I
> seem to hit is knowing which options to select to replicate the
> distribution kernel. ie: if lsmod shows kernel module '8139too' (a nic
> module I think?) how do I check my kernel configure process will create
> that module?
>
> [yes I've read the Module-HOWTO & Kernel-HOWTO tho I'm sure I've missed
> the obvious solutions, reading again...]

Just get the .config from the /usr/src/linux-2.4 kernel in Redhat & use
that at the .config in your new kernel source.  After putting the .config
into your new src, run make oldconfig to get it to do some config magic.
Alternativly you could use make xconfig or make menuconfig to change
options & save.

Also, cp your .config to something like hostname.config as a make mrproper
will blow away the .config.

> 'do it right'. Sample rulesets for either IPChains or IPTables would be
> appreciated.
>
> the attached file 'routerInfo' contains output from uname -a, ifconfig,
> lsmod, and insmod ip_tables

with your iptables problem try a depmod -a to rebuild the module
dependencies.  There was a known Redhat problems relating to this.

> adsl-start yields
> /sbin/adsl-start: line 217: 2344 Terminated                    $CONNECT
> "$@" >/dev/null 2>&1

Redhat has a problem with the already installed ppoe I believe (in Rh 7.1,
7.2 or something).  Consider rebuilding it from scratch.  I did see
this problem when I built pppoe.  IIRC it related to the RH installed
ppoe.

> also, when I ssh between boxes it is slow (3-4 secs at least), ping

Dns? :)

> times are less than 1ms. any ideas on what to look for?
> and - if I want to setup my network so that I can
> ssh somename
> instead of
> ssh xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Ah yes, dns.  Enough for a seperate email in that one :)

Rob

-- Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert at timetraveller.org  ICQ: 104781119
   avon: up 1 day, 11:13,  1 user,  load average: 0.03, 0.02, 0.00