[H-GEN] Testing wireless networking at Humbug meeting

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Thu Jan 31 23:50:54 EST 2002

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Russell Mathews wrote:

> [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and  ]
> [ Unix-related topics.  Please observe the list's charter.           ]
> [ Worthwhile understanding: http://www.humbug.org.au/netiquette.html ]
>
> HI All,
> 	Consider when a wireless mesh is running and one member then turns
> up to a Humbug meeting, and logs on through the UQ.  Everyone will then
> have full Internet access, or am I missing something.
> 	Legally, then, per the Telecommonications Legislation, I believe,
> Humbug may be a telecommunications carrier, and need licencing.

I think we'd have to firewall off the Mesh from being able to pull data
via UQ.  It would be violating Humbug & UQ policy anyway, imho.

Theoretically someone could come along to Humbug right now with a mobile
phone & appropriate connectors and handout Humbug net access to someone
outside the meeting.  Expensive but possible.  It would be difficult to
spot too if they did it properly.  No one get any ideas! :)
Rob

-- Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert at timetraveller.org  ICQ: 104781119
   blake: up 22 days, 12:29,  3 users,  load average: 1.01, 1.02, 1.00