[H-GEN] Testing wireless networking at Humbug meeting

Raymond Smith zzrasmit at uqconnect.net
Thu Jan 31 23:03:35 EST 2002

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Russell Mathews wrote:
> Consider when a wireless mesh is running and one member then turns
> up to a Humbug meeting, and logs on through the UQ.  Everyone will then
> have full Internet access, or am I missing something.

I think the problem only comes about when you are routing traffic through
your node. So a wireless network at the edge is okay. But me carrying your
'commercial' email over my mesh node and onto the internet is not okay
(especially if a fee is charged).

There doesn't seem to have been a crackdown on 802.11b wireless LANs
afterall, so I think we are safe to run one carefully at HUMBUG.

Cheers,

Raymond
---
raymond at humbug.org.au   Linux.conf.au 2002 -- register now for