[H-GEN] Testing wireless networking at Humbug meeting

David Starkoff dbs at humbug.org.au
Thu Jan 31 16:01:03 EST 2002

At 2002-01-31T11:25+1000, Frank Brand wrote:

> My understanding is that there is a group in APANA attempting to put
> together such a wireless network in Brisbane.

My lurking on the Brismesh list has led me to believe that APANA is
comitted to getting a wireless infrastructure in Brisbane.  You'd have
to speak to the APANA people for more details, though.

> Further there was a piece on Slashdot about an extensive network in
> Sydney covering nearly all the Sydney metropolitan area with about 200
> users.

There are some similar projects in the U.S., as well.  One of the key
issues which has been discussed (to death, and a little beyond) on the
Brismesh list is about the legalities of doing a mesh-style project in
Australia.  APANA seems to be on more solid legal ground than a
community project, and offering Internet access through a mesh seems to
be taunting the DCITA to lay the legal smack down on you.

David.
--
``You put two things together it goes bang and you try to work out why.''
    -- Alan Cox, on computer science