[H-GEN] wireless networking around town!

Arjen Lentz arjen at mysql.com
Wed Jan 30 21:57:08 EST 2002

Hi David,

On Wed, 2002-01-30 at 18:23, David Starkoff wrote:
> You're not the first to have this thought.  There is a project known as
> Brismesh which has the goals you identified.
>   http://www.brismesh.org/

Ah, excellent!

For those wondering "what's the use?", here's my opinion:
If you really think about what you want/need, bandwidth is generally not
even an issue.... access is. And preferably continuous access.

In Australia, that is currently not available; Optus cable comes close
(way closer than Telstra Cable/ADSL in any case ;-) but it still costs
and with limited coverage many cannot even get it.

We're in desperate need of some initiatives to break through this nasty
situation. Showing that these things can work, what features are really
essential. Then, getting some media coverage about it never hurts.

Granted, a wireless LAN addresses only part of the issue (affordable
web/server hosting in Australia being another), but it's still
important. And because of the low-cost nature of 802.11b hardware, it's
all quite feasable.

Regards,
Arjen.

--