[H-GEN] Testing wireless networking at Humbug meeting

Arjen Lentz arjen at mysql.com
Wed Jan 30 02:56:33 EST 2002

Hi Greg,

On Tue, 2002-01-29 at 15:06, Greg Black wrote:
> I'm going to bring my new wireless network card (which has been
> on its way to me for several months) to the meeting on Saturday
> in the hope that there will be at least one other person there
> with such a toy so that I can do a little bit of testing to see
> that it works.
> If anybody is up for this, perhaps you could let me know so that
> we can be sure to meet -- I expect to get there by 3:30 or so.

Unfortunately I haven't got my new laptop here yet, but I was aiming for
something more ambitious:

In other countries/cities, people have put bigger antennas on their
wireless hubs, increasing the range to (if I remember correctly) about 4
km. In Australia, this has been done in Canberra and somewhere on the
Gold Coast.
See http://www.air.net.au (Canberra Wireless Network) for more info and
links.

If we were able to set up a number of hubs within range of eachother, we
could cover quite a large area in Brisbane, or at least important spots.
Why not have wireless Internet access at South Bank or Roma Street
Parklands, for HUMBUG members? Or at least access to some hosts....
Things can be protected by using a VPN (like PPTP for Win and FreeS/WAN
for *nix; see http://www.freeswan.org for info).

Seems like an interesting (and useful!) project.

Regards,
Arjen.

--
Get MySQL Training Worldwide, http://www.mysql.com/training/