[H-GEN] Problems setting up Kerberos

Sarah Kelly sarah at uow.edu.au
Mon Jan 14 18:29:31 EST 2002

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 06:11:28AM +1000, John Duncan wrote:
> > sarah at avatar init.d$ /usr/krb5/sbin/kadmin -p sarah/admin at UOW.EDU.AU
> > Enter Password:
> > kadmin: Communication failure with server while initializing kadmin
> > interface
> >
> > According to the sun documentation, this means that kadmind isn't running
> > on the master server, or that the host name for the master server is wrong.
> >
> > sarah at avatar init.d$ ps -ef | grep kadmind
> >     root  1423     1  0 09:30:21 ?        0:00 /usr/krb5/lib/kadmind
> >    sarah  1425  1358  0 09:30:25 pts/5    0:00 grep kadmind
> >
> > [realms]
> >         UOW.EDU.AU = {
> >                 kdc = avatar.its.uow.edu.au
> > #                kdc = phoenix.its.uow.edu.au
> >                 admin_server = avatar.its.uow.edu.au
> >         }
> >
> > So I can't work out what on earth I could be doing wrong. If someone could
> > give me a nudge in the right direction I would really appreciate it.
>
>             Don't know about the Sun set-up but on OpenBSD Kerberos
> set-up there is a need to list the domain_name in the form .XXX.YYY
> in the realms translation file.
>              Weird errors also occur if the client and server clocks
> are not closely synchronised. Check out FAQ 10.11 on the OpenBSD
> website for links and good advice.

That information is in the file, in the [domain_realm] section. I did not
include it in the email to keep things short.

It's the same machine I am trying to run kadmin on, so the clock is not
going to be a problem. Thanks anyway.

I've been trussing both kadmin and kadmind, and some contact is being made
and a ticket for kadmind is being issued, so I'm at my wits end trying to
work out what is causing this. I'll be sitting down with a co-worker who is
much more experienced at debugging this sort of problem than me as soon as
he gets back from a meeting. I'll keep you informed of any progress that
we make.

Ms Sarah Kelly						sarah at uow.edu.au
Information Technology Services				Bld 17 Level 2
The University of Wollongong				Ph: +61 2 4221 3775