[H-GEN] Problems setting up Kerberos

John Duncan katie4 at eisa.net.au
Mon Jan 14 15:11:28 EST 2002

> sarah at avatar init.d$ /usr/krb5/sbin/kadmin -p sarah/admin at UOW.EDU.AU
> Enter Password:
> kadmin: Communication failure with server while initializing kadmin
> interface
>
> According to the sun documentation, this means that kadmind isn't running
> on the master server, or that the host name for the master server is wrong.
>
> sarah at avatar init.d$ ps -ef | grep kadmind
>     root  1423     1  0 09:30:21 ?        0:00 /usr/krb5/lib/kadmind
>    sarah  1425  1358  0 09:30:25 pts/5    0:00 grep kadmind
>
> [realms]
>         UOW.EDU.AU = {
>                 kdc = avatar.its.uow.edu.au
> #                kdc = phoenix.its.uow.edu.au
>                 admin_server = avatar.its.uow.edu.au
>         }
>
> So I can't work out what on earth I could be doing wrong. If someone could
> give me a nudge in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

            Don't know about the Sun set-up but on OpenBSD Kerberos
set-up there is a need to list the domain_name in the form .XXX.YYY
in the realms translation file.
             Weird errors also occur if the client and server clocks
are not closely synchronised. Check out FAQ 10.11 on the OpenBSD
website for links and good advice.
       HTH
                                        John Duncan