[H-GEN] Problem with Irix disc drive / file system.

Ewan Edwards Ewan.Edwards at mincom.com
Thu Jan 10 22:43:55 EST 2002

On Friday 11 January 2002 11:25, you wrote:
> [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and  ]
> [ Unix-related topics.  Please observe the list's charter.           ]
> [ Worthwhile understanding: http://www.humbug.org.au/netiquette.html ]
>
> Ewan Edwards wrote:
> | At this point I am thinking that maybe there is an area of the disc
> | surface that has become defective.  My main problem is that I don't know
> | enough about Irix or SGI systems to know how to proceed from here, or, if
> | there are any utilities etc. that I might be able to use to salvage the
> | file system and/or any data off the disc.
>
> This is why we make backups and now is the time to get them out
> so you can restore your data to the new disk you are going to
> install to replace that dead one which you're going to toss in
> the bin.

Absolutely correct.  That's the sort of procedure we adopt in house.
Unfortunately this disc belongs to one of our clients and I'm told that their
last backup was done six weeks ago.

> Of course, if there are no backups and if the data is really
> very important and can only be found on the dead disk and if you
> have the budget for it, you can try to get a professional data
> restoration done -- but don't stress the disk any more yourself
> in that case.

I'm already talking like that to the client.  I was just hoping there was
something else worthwhile trying first.  My personal opinion is that if you
have the budget for professional data restoration then you have the budget
for a decent backup system.

information.  If you have received this transmission in error, please delete
it and notify the sender.  The contents of this e-mail are the opinion of the
writer only and are not endorsed by the Mincom Group of companies unless
expressly stated otherwise.