[H-GEN] Tape Drives

Jason Henry Parker jasonp at uq.net.au
Mon Jan 7 19:47:42 EST 2002

James Lever <jamver at adams.humbug.org.au> writes:

> According to Jason Henry Parker (on Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 08:41:59AM +1000):
> > *Bad* idea.  Using software (-5 is only one step down from the gzip
> > default) and hardware compression at the same time will only make the
> > backup images faster.
> Hrmm, I guess I didn't make myself 100% clear here.

Me too, by the look of that.

The problem is that if the data going to tape is already compressed,
the hardware compression will only make the data take up *more* tape.
Software compression is the best way to decrease the amount of data
written to the tape.
--
| Men are Figs!                               http://linux.org.au/conf/ |