[H-GEN] Tape Drives

James Lever jamver at adams.humbug.org.au
Mon Jan 7 18:56:35 EST 2002

According to Jason Henry Parker (on Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 08:41:59AM +1000):
> > If I personally wanted to do software compression on the fly, I
> > would probably either use gzip (-5) or gzip -1 piping through dd
> > with blocksize specifications and also use the hardware compression
>
> AWHOOOGAH!  AWHOOOGA!
>
> *Bad* idea.  Using software (-5 is only one step down from the gzip
> default) and hardware compression at the same time will only make the
> backup images faster.

Hrmm, I guess I didn't make myself 100% clear here.

I was trying to suggest if you wanted best performance and compression
that a combination of software and hardware compression is likely the
best solution.  (assuming, of course, that you could get a decent buffer
in between the software compression and the tape device)

cheers,
James

--
http://www.visac.uq.edu.au/people/jamver/index.html#sigs