[H-GEN] Not a valid block device

Tony Nugent tony at linuxworks.com.au
Thu Feb 14 02:47:22 EST 2002

On Thu Feb 14 2002 at 16:09, Tony Nugent wrote:

(To add to what I just posted...)

> On Thu Feb 14 2002 at 14:46, Paul Cornford wrote:
>
> > Yes, these were the first things I tried. Actually the cdrom is set as
> > master on ide2 so I tried to mount /dev/hdc and this didn't work either.
> > Then I tried hdd and so on. Sounds like a kernel upgrade is in order
> > though. Thanks for the help.
> >
> > Rick Phillips wrote:
>
> [ lots deleted, trouble access ide cdrom ]
>
> It seems that redhat did the 2.4 kernel in rh72 such that the cdrom
> driver is now a module.  Does "lsmod" show that the ide-cd module is
> loaded?  It should be automatic (it is here), but if not, insmod it
> and try again (with /dev/hdc if your cdrom is the master on ide2).

... and initially I thought that this was a very silly thing to have
done.

But not so silly at all - it is in fact very cool.

I can now do "rmmod ide-cd" and then "modprobe ide-scsi" and my ide
cdrom will now magically appear as a scsi device.  Which is oh so
useful for using cdrom burners with cdrecord and associated
utilities like xcdroast (which want to see cdrom devices as scsi
rather than ide).

  (I already have a scsi cdrom burner on /dev/scd0, and by using
  the ide-scsi driver my ide cdrom appears as /dev/scd1).

This makes using cdrom burvers in particular a whole lot easier to
use.

Previously, to use an ide cdrom burner with cdrecord you had to do
set it up as a scsi-emuloated device by pre-loading the scsi-ide
driver in an initrd, and pass "append=" parameters to the kernel at
bootup.

Cheers
Tony