[H-GEN] Not a valid block device

Tony Nugent tony at linuxworks.com.au
Thu Feb 14 01:09:16 EST 2002

On Thu Feb 14 2002 at 14:46, Paul Cornford wrote:

> Yes, these were the first things I tried. Actually the cdrom is set as
> master on ide2 so I tried to mount /dev/hdc and this didn't work either.
> Then I tried hdd and so on. Sounds like a kernel upgrade is in order
> though. Thanks for the help.
>
> Rick Phillips wrote:

[ lots deleted, trouble access ide cdrom ]

It seems that redhat did the 2.4 kernel in rh72 such that the cdrom
driver is now a module.  Does "lsmod" show that the ide-cd module is
loaded?  It should be automatic (it is here), but if not, insmod it
and try again (with /dev/hdc if your cdrom is the master on ide2).

Cheers
Tony