[H-GEN] smoothwall - dial on demand

Hilton Travis QuarkAudioVisual at gmx.net
Mon Feb 11 04:30:53 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-02-11 at 17:11, Mick Howe wrote:
> [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and  ]
> [ Unix-related topics.  Please observe the list's charter.           ]
> [ Worthwhile understanding: http://www.humbug.org.au/netiquette.html ]
>
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2002 13:57, you wrote:
> > Hi Mick,
> >
> > I believe (not being a modem user myself) that the DoD function disables
> > the "Connect" button, and relies on users generating traffic that will
> > cause the dialup to be automagically started.  There are a few settings
> > related to DoD (such as "Idle Timeout" and "DoD for DNS") that you may
> > want to take a look at as well.
>
> when dial on demand is ticked theThat is correct.  "Waiting" would be when XXX.  "Idle" will be when XXX. CONNECT/DISCONNECT buttons switch between
> waiting/idle.

Hhmmm - I'm checking into this for you.  You are running SmoothWall
0.9.9 (or 0.9.9SE) I gather?

> > I am running a RedHat Linux 7.2 box connected thru my Smoothie.  I use
> > DHCP internally (numerous machines, many coming and going), and it seems
> > to connect fine.  Maybe that would be an easier solution for you?  I
> > assume you have checked the IP Address and Subnet Mask of your
> > statically configured Linux box?  If these are wrong, there's no chance
> > of the RedHat box seeing the SmoothWall nor any other device on the LAN.
> >
> > Regards,
> > HiltonT
>
> checked ip addr/mask. I can see and control smoothie from both boxes and both
> O/S's. Pinging works from linux to smoothie and w98 and from 98 to 98 and
> smoothie.
>
> Not confident that I'm making all the configuration changes that are needed,
> haven't been able to find a clear description of what must be done.

Ahhh - what is the actual problem - if you can ping Smoothie from the
Linux box, then what is the problem?  All you need to do is then to make
sure the primary DNS and gateway both point to the Smoothie box, and you
should be set.  Use no "proxy" in your browser (unless you have enabled
proxy (non-transparent) in Smoothie).

Regards,
HiltonT