[H-GEN] smoothwall - dial on demand

Hilton Travis QuarkAudioVisual at gmx.net
Sun Feb 10 22:57:43 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-02-11 at 10:07, Mick Howe wrote:
> [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and  ]
> [ Unix-related topics.  Please observe the list's charter.           ]
> [ Worthwhile understanding: http://www.humbug.org.au/netiquette.html ]
>
> Just installed Smoothwall 0.9.9 se as per the docs and can't get it to dial
> on demand.
>
> If I tick the DoD box  in the Dialup | ppp settings I can't dial at all.
> After clearing the tick, hitting the 'connect' button on the home page will
> start dialling and can surf away on my two w98se boxes
>
> Also having bother with configuring linux (RedHat 7.1) to connect through
> smoothwall.
>
> I have set 'name server specification' to the IP of the smoothwall box and
> 'routing and gateways' to the same IP and enabled routing using Network
> Configurator but no joy. the linux box is a duel boot with 98se.
>
> /\/\ick

Hi Mick,

I believe (not being a modem user myself) that the DoD function disables
the "Connect" button, and relies on users generating traffic that will
cause the dialup to be automagically started.  There are a few settings
related to DoD (such as "Idle Timeout" and "DoD for DNS") that you may
want to take a look at as well.

I am running a RedHat Linux 7.2 box connected thru my Smoothie.  I use
DHCP internally (numerous machines, many coming and going), and it seems
to connect fine.  Maybe that would be an easier solution for you?  I
assume you have checked the IP Address and Subnet Mask of your
statically configured Linux box?  If these are wrong, there's no chance
of the RedHat box seeing the SmoothWall nor any other device on the LAN.

Regards,
HiltonT