[H-GEN] dhcp issues

Sandra Milne silne at optusnet.com.au
Fri Dec 20 20:36:56 EST 2002

At 10:57 21/12/2002 +1000, you wrote:

>[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and     ]
>[ Unix-related topics. Posts from non-subscribed addresses will vanish. ]

The b0x was built in april, with an older file imported from the previous
host which had been connected to the optusnet network in january with the
settings provided by optus. I don't think it is required but I prefer to
provide the original settings I know to work.

> > option domain-name "localhost";
>
>Bad bad bad. So very bad. *shudder*

already been said.

> > # The other subnet that shares this physical network (OptusNet Cable)
> > subnet 211.28.173.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
> >    option broadcast-address 211.28.173.255; }
>
>Personally and correct me if I am wrong guys, I would trim this line to:
>subnet 211.28.173.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 { }

The information I got from ifconfig said that there was a broadcast address
on the interface. I saw no reason not to provide this to the daemon.

> > host trousers {
> >    hardware ethernet 00:e0:29:9d:b4:11;
> >    fixed-address 192.168.0.69; }
> > host thor {
> >    hardware ethernet 00:10:5a:7a:87:77;
> >    fixed-address 192.168.0.68; }
>
>I know it sounds silly, but check your MAC address's. Its amazing what a few
>changes and swaps of NIC's can do to a network which relies on MAC related
>IP assignments.

The MAC addresses are FINE. I entered them less than 24 hours ago. The
clients can pick up an IP, that isn't the issue. The issue is with the dhcp
server assigning itself an IP which renders the entire thing useless.

>Though one question. Why does DHclient list Eth0 as the ethernet you wish
>you gain an IP for, and in /interfaces you have Eth0 as your static IP and
>Eth1 as your dynamic ? Drop dhclient, use pump. My recommendation. Or change
>your client conf.

The really dumb thing is, I couldn't get it to work any other way. It just
refused to gain an IP address on the correct interface! However that is
something I'd totally forgotten about. We ended up ditching an old
DEC-tulip card that died, and after I put in my brand spanking new Realtek
8139 (I didn't pay any money for it), the 10meg interface on the old NE2000
ISA card decided it didn't want to be the internal interface any more and
would only work as an external interface. So I changed all the conf files,
and then nothing would work. I had to strike an unholy balance between
weird and downright stupid get anything to go at all. I'm still considering
rebuilding the b0x from scratch with a clean install of debian 3.0 instead
of the bodgied one we apt-get'd and dist-upgraded. (That would make it
easier to move everything to the new hard drive too)

Sandra.

silne at optusnet.com.au
http://members.optushome.com.au/silne
"[The Starships Enterprise] are like bra sizes; when you go up a letter
they get
bigger and more impressive."
             -- Kewl Quote from Slashdot Post.