[H-GEN] Running low on disc space

Bruce Campbell bc at humbug.org.au
Fri Dec 20 04:20:54 EST 2002

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Timothy Hitchens <timothy.hitchens at hitcho.com.au> wrote:

> Hmm why did my (e-mail) comment that it doesn't exists on the hard drive
> not make it to the list.

Firstly, your single line comment of 'Hmm proc doesn't exist..' was
accompanied by 3 lines of 'Spoken' signature, 2 quoted list-header lines,
36 lines of the message that you replied to, and 4 quoted list-footer
lines.  Or in other words, you really need to learn how to edit your
messages before sending them.

Secondly, the message that you received from the list manager when you
subscribed, that you naturally kept for your reference, states:

   Mailing Address: general at lists.humbug.org.au

        Humbug General list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
        etc.  Flame wars and the like should be taken to the Humbug
        Chat list.

        Postings are only accepted from your subscribed address.

        Postings from other addresses will be silently bounced to the
        maintainer who may, or may not, forward them on in a timely manner.

        The list 'general-post' exists if you want to be able to post to
        the general list from a certain account, but not receive any messages
        from it (ie, you receive messages in a different account, or your
        outgoing mail is tagged with a different 'From' address).

Thirdly, every message that goes through the Humbug General mailing list
has the following lines prepended:

   > > [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about
   > > Humbug and     ]
   > > [ Unix-related topics. Posts from non-subscribed addresses
   > > will vanish. ]

and added at the end:

   > > ---
   > > * This is list (humbug) general handled by majordomo at lists.humbug.org.au .
   > > * Postings to this list are only accepted from subscribed addresses of
   > > * lists 'general' or 'general-post'.  See http://www.humbug.org.au/

You may notice a general trend towards encouraging people to post from
their correct, subscribed address as it tends to cut down on people
complaining on the list about all the spam that is received.

And fourthly, you were sent a message yesterday which contained brief
instructions on what is wrong, and how to fix it, ie: