[H-GEN] Running low on disc space

R&J Stuart rjstuart at bigpond.net.au
Thu Dec 19 04:17:48 EST 2002

Ewan Edwards wrote:
> Good evening all,
>
> I was wondering where all my disc space went, so I ran "du -smx *" from the
> root directory and found that /proc was using up 898Mbyte.  That didn't seem
> right to me so I listed the contents (ls -la) and found the following file;
>
> -r--------    1 root     root     939528192 Dec 19 17:41 kcore

You didn't say what OS. /proc is a separate file system on a lot of Unix
OSs.  The -x is _supposed_ to keep you on the one fs, but...

You can run "mount" with no args to see what file systems are mounted where.

For Linux /proc/kcore is an image of the RAM on your machine.  I'm
thinking you have 896 MB of RAM.  I'm not sure if you can delete it...
if you can, its probably not a good idea as various system utils
probably use it (ps type utils like top)..

The usual suspects for big space use are (assuming the root fs holds
most stuff): usr,var,home,tmp.  I'd do the following:

du -sk usr var home tmp

and then drill down from there.

Regards,

Robert