[H-GEN] RedHat 8.0

Tony Nugent tony at linuxworks.com.au
Sun Dec 1 21:51:32 EST 2002

On Mon Dec 02 2002 at 11:04, "Dimitri Andronikos" wrote:

> I'm after a copy of RedHat 8.0. Is it possible for anyone to burn me a copy
> at the next meeting or for the next meeting. I will be very grateful and
> give whoever some money to cover any costs.

I should mention that I picked up an "official" copy of redhat 8.0
at a newsagency for around $35.  (I got my copy from the newsagency
on the 1st floor of Roma St station, but I've also seen it available
in serveral other larger newsagencies).

  Same for redhat 7.3, I've also seen that around too (recently).
  But there are around 660Mb of updates for rh7.3 (I can give you a
  cd with all of them).

The advantage with an official copy is that you get a product ID
number with it that will give you privileged access to
high-bandwidth update servers.

But if you want all the updates as well to save yourself the
downloads, let me know.

The updates are vital, many bugfixes but also many security-related
updates as well.  Don't expose a vanilla redhat installation to the
internet until it is properly updated.

  (Same advice for any linux/unix distribution.  Same for windows
  too, but there are so many security bugs in every windows product
  that have not been fixed, even with the latest batch of updates...
  tuning into the bugtraq mailing list is a real eye-opener in this
  regard).

> Dimitri

Cheers
Tony