[H-GEN] libranet

Sarah Walters sarah at uow.edu.au
Tue Aug 27 23:10:43 EDT 2002

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 01:01:34PM +1000, Shaun Nykvist wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have a friend who is getting into linux and has been searching for a
> distrubution to install.  He has been asking about libranet which is based
> on debian - http://www.libranet.com.  Has anybody had experience with this
> distrubution, and if so have any advice to give on its use for a beginner
> user.

Never heard of it, but unless it has a lot of user-friendliness added on, any
distribution based on debian probably isn't a good thing for a beginner unless
he has a background in a UNIX of some description.

The 'standard' in package distribution appears to be RPM at the moment, so if
your friend doesn't want to build from source I would suggest a distribution
that uses RPM. Most of the documentation out there seems to be for Red Hat, so
for a beginner that might be best.

On the other hand, the bloated scripts in RH could be habit forming :)

--
Regards,

Mrs Sarah Walters
Systems Group