[H-GEN] How do I flush my dns cache ?

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Sat Aug 10 09:22:05 EDT 2002

Robert Stanford wrote:

| On Sat, 2002-08-10 at 20:42, Greg Black wrote:
| > Robert Stanford wrote:
| >
| > but no
| > Unix I'm familiar with caches DNS data in the kernel.  Routing
| > information (which is based on addresses, not names) is kept in
| > the kernel, but that's a different matter.
|
| Maybe not in the kernel, just a guess on my behalf. However something in
| the system is caching dns data and im basicly looking for the win2k
| equivalent of ipconfig /flushdns

How do you know that "something in the system is caching dns
data"?

| > I expect that you have an /etc/resolv.conf file that points to
| > the actual name server that you use.

Do you have an /etc/resolv.conf file?  If so, what's in it?

| > If it has cached stale
| > data, its operator needs to flush that cache to solve your
| > problem.

Did you notice the sentence above?

| > If you were to tell us the name server you're using and the name
| > you're looking up and the answer you're getting and the answer
| > you expect, then we can diagnose this a bit more.  As it is,
| > it's just guesswork.

Is there any reason you did not answer these questions?

I'm repeating this stuff because it's really difficult to help
without getting the answers to the questions I asked.

Greg