[H-GEN] Virtual Hosting

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Wed Aug 7 09:01:20 EDT 2002

On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, David Duffy wrote:

Hi David.

> Patrick replied:
> >This feature is called virtual hosting, I'm guessing you knew that from your
> >subject line.  You don't ask any specific questions.  So I'm assuming you
> >just want to know if it's possible.
>
> So, what I want is "name based" virtual hosting? We currently host our own

Absolutely.

> web site and are looking at possibly hosting another site (or more) on our

An excellent idea.

> Linux server & soon to be installed ADSL connection. They already have a
> domain name (currently hosted elsewhere) and I thought since it's a very low

You could take over dns too.

> traffic site, we could host it for him. I get to learn more about Linux, he
> gets
> a reliable service and hey, he might even pay me a little for the hosting!
> The ADSL line is 512/128 which is plenty fast enough for the intended use.
> I gather email should be able to be setup too? eg. sales at newdomain.com.au

Virtusertable is your sendmail friend :)

The virtusertable can be used to send addresses like
postmaster at mydomain.com and postmaster at hisdomain.net to different
accounts.  Ideally you don't want any overlap between the domains.

Virtusertable lets you trap any unmatched addresses in a domain and send
it to a nominated account.  This is useful for domains having their mail
hosted like this as it prevents any address from hisdomain.net ever
landing in a mailbox in mydomain.com.

www.sendmail.org has heaps on this.

Cheers,
	-Rob