[H-GEN] Lists and columns [was: Re: Anti-Virus software for linux]

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Mon Apr 22 20:15:24 EDT 2002

Jason Henry Parker wrote:

| That was *meant* to be a private reply to the original poster, whose
| address I forgot to cut and paste in before sending.

It would be really nice if the lists were changed so that they
stopped mutilating messages with the "Reply-To" headers that
point back to the list -- if we're serious about encouraging
people to make replies to individuals rather than the list when
that is appropriate, we should not put such a large blunt object
in their way.

And, while I'm here, there's a really sound reason for using
less than 80 columns in email and it has nothing to do with old
fogies who still think the world runs on punched cards.  The
human eye can only manage a limited line length with comfort.
Newspaper columns are very short because that allows for fast
reading.  Books are set in 65 to 85 character lines because
that's about as much as an eye can take in with one bite.  So
it's just courtesy to your readers to take this into account.

This is an issue that web page authors need to address too.  I
just don't bother with web pages that make no attempt to make my
reading comfortable.

Greg