[H-GEN] Scanner & Camera & USB Under Linux

Frank Brand fbrand at uq.net.au
Thu Apr 18 02:11:45 EDT 2002

I am now convinced that despite what people say, Mandrake Linux at least, has reached the stage where an office could survive with Linux on a day to day basis at the desktop as well as server level.  As each release comes along it gets better and easier to install to the point where the MS Intellieye mouse is recognised and fucntions as it should within seconds whereas the same device has to have special drivers (HID - Human Interface Drivers) loaded into windows before it will function properly.  This is interesting when one considers that it is an MS product working within an MS op system.

Absolutely, Mandrake has made enormous strides and is a very easy distro to install and use. I usually rcommend it for new users and say that the install is easier than Windows - at least you dont have to start and stop the box every quarter of an hour. In regard to the mouse, it is a while since I installed one in Windows but my recollection was that it just worked as a mouse by plugging it in - no need for driver support unless you are using an early version Win 95. You can install the intellipoint software but I dont really think it gets you a lot more functionality. I can confirm this very very soon...I bought two Intellieye mice today. If you are using Win 95 A or B you probably need both the USB software and the mouse driver software but not in later Windows versions?

In regard to Linux operating on the desktop I have always been of the opinion that the functionality was there but it is not easy to convince users. Off the top of my head I might postulate that maybe 5% of computer users are really interested...people like you find on this list, another 20% are very skilled users (but not particularly interseted in OS - they probably only think of Windows as an operating system if they think of an OS at all)...the sort of people you turn to in the office to get a new printer installed and how to do tricky macros in Word or Excel. However, the great bulk (mmmm looks like about 75% if my spreadsheet is right) just want to do things...they couldnt give a stuff if it's Linux, Unix, Windows...just want to send e-mails, do word docs and simple spreadsheets and use a browser). The last group just want things to be easy and, I think, any reasonable assessment would be that Microsoft have done a magnificent job of providing for their needs. They already have the software they want and it does what they want, they dont operate a server and dont have much need to bother terribly about Microsoft glitches.

The problem for something like Linux in addressing this market is that what they have is quite satisfactory to their needs and they are quite familiar with the functionality of the programmes. I am often surprised at how skilled a good personal assistant can be with a Windows box (not all PA's but a lot of them are bloody skilful - probably more skilled as users than some of the gurus on this list). So you want to introduce Linux to these people...why? Whatever they have now suits them and they are very skilful with the programmes and familiar with the environment and they know it intimately. You say "Linux can do that"...that is not a great encouragement to change since they can already do that. Linux does not really offer any great advantage to that 75%...probably a disadvantage because, at least with Windows you get a common user interface...most programmes work in much the same ways (similar menu interface etc.  etc.).

Just being able to do what MS does is not really a compelling argument because the users dont need to change OS to do that and if they do they need stacks of retraining. I have looked at this situation many times and I can say Linux can do it but why change? OK if you are one of the 5% who are opposed to MS, Linux can provide for your needs within your own unit...sort of...(until you get a document that does not quite translate properly from outside your unit). The tables that don't format correctly, the spreadsheets that dont work because the macro language doesnt do the job etc etc. Have a look at some Linux spreadsheet programmes and see how things translate etc etc (Star Office is usable, Gnumeric good, really good for simple stuff, KSpread - not ready yet).

Any alternative to MS suffers from the fact that it is not MS and therefore different from what users have come to expect. Not inferior maybe but different...different appearance, different menus etc etc...where will they actually find the functionality they want.

So why should these 95% of users change to Linux?

Unfortunately, MS has become a defacto standard and it well knows this and is applying the same (successful) strategy to sectors of the market it does not yet dominate to such an extent (Passport, .Net, C# , well Hailstorm was not such a success but give Bill time etc etc).

Ther are some interesting articles covering this kind of discussion on www.linux.org. One of them is entitled "Just doing what Office does won't guarantee mass usage" or something like it.

Linux might be better able to crack the desktop in an environment where:-

1. Management is very supportive, able to withstand the whinges of the ordinary users and prepared to pay for training.

2. In a newly set up office where there is not a past history of an established system, nor existing incompatible documentation,

3. Where the office decides they are just not going to install MS stuff (but that is not too many yet).

One office I deal with hates viruse (especially the MS macro viruses) so I suggested they just use Eudora or some other mail programme but no they like to use Outlook and Outlook Express..they already know it and like the feel and love html mail etc etc.

My more than two cents worth

What do you think, what compelling reason is there for the 95% to change from MS?

Frank Brand