[H-GEN] sendmail aliases

Bruce Campbell bc at humbug.org.au
Mon Apr 15 16:56:45 EDT 2002

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, Ewan Edwards wrote:

> 4.  The main alias file "aliases" includes the following lines amongst many
> hundreds of others.
> ewane: ewane at tenmail.mincom.oz.au.DIRECT
> pgs: pgs at mtmail.mincom.oz.au.DIRECT

First hint, sysadmins of large sites are very terroritorial, and usually
take exception to any user of theirs who takes a problem to a public
mailing list without having contacted them first.  (Thats not to say
they'll help you, just that you might be getting them offside by seemingly
asking Humbug first)

> 5.  I have tried modifying the alias.local file to have a) just the local
> user alias (pgs), and b) just the remote alias (ewane).  Neither mod made any
> difference.

If you have the local permission, try inserting your intended Alias into
the local copy of the centrally-updated AliasFiles and then test in the
update window.  If it works, the problem is in your declaration of the
local AliasFile.  If it has the same problem, the problem is in the format
of the alias file.

( I'm slightly surprised that Mincom is not centrally-maintaining the
  sendmail config files with platform varients )

As another hint, try putting fully-qualified email addresses (mtjoke:
pgs at mincom.oz.au, ewan at mincom.oz.au) in the local alias file in order to
get Sendmail to go through the expansion rulesets again.

> > # sendmail -bv mtjoke

mtjoke != mtjoke@(your.local.box.mincom.oz.au|mincom.oz.au)

--==--
Bruce.