[H-GEN] Lost property found from last meeting

Michael Anthon michael at anthon.net
Mon Apr 15 07:48:56 EDT 2002

<snippity snip>
> Just thinking about this...is it the double cut mechanism on the crimper?
>
> Some crimpers have two blades...one with no clearance and a second one
with
> clearance about half inch (12 mm) from the end cut. This second cut is
> supposed to clear the outer casing and leave thetwisted pairs intact.
<snip>

Multi strand cables are really intended for making patch leads that will be
moved around a lot, such as a patch lead on a desk where you might plug a
laptop in every day, since the cable can withstand a lot more flexing
without fatigue, solid core cable is intended for fixed cabling (as in
inside walls and stuff) and for patch leads for plugging in fixed machines
and for patch panels that will not undergo regular changes.

One thing that a lot of people do not realise is that there is 2 different
types of connectors for the 2 different types of cables.  Using the wrong
connector on the wrong cable will lead to tears, trust me on this 8^P.  If
you have good eyes or a magnifying glass, look at the part of the contact
that pierces the wire insulation.  For solid core conductors, the contact is
normally like a flat plate that has been slit a couple of time and then bent
out a little bit so that you end up with the 2 outside parts going one side
of the conductor and the centre piece on the other side.  For stranded
conductors it's normally more like a toothed arrangement that pierces that
plastic and the wire without any bending.  It's hard to explain them.... and
I can't find any pictures on the web after half an hour so I can't point you
at anything.

If you want your cable to last, pay some extra money and get strain relief
boots for the connector, makes a HUGE difference to the life of the patch
leads.

Cheers
Michael