[H-GEN] Lost property found from last meeting

Frank Brand fbrand at uq.net.au
Sun Apr 14 20:03:23 EDT 2002

>I will try with the multi strand next time, rather than the solid core -
>its just too brittle, and breaks after its been moved around a few
>times.

Multi-strand is recommended for temporary or short length fittings.
Conversely solid core is recommended for permanent and/or longer run cables.

Probably, if you are connecting and reconnecting often, maybe you might be
better off with multi-strand cable but I  have never realy had problems with
solid core. The only thing that makes the cable brittle is constantly
changing its shape and work hardening the copper wire. The same work
hardening will occur with multi-strand wire but, because the strands are
thinner, they will be a little more tolerant.

If you are encountering problems after just a few uses I would be looking
into other causes. Get a single copper core and bend it many times and see
how many times you need to cycle it before it work hardens appreciably and
breaks...this is thin, soft, pure, electrical copper. I suspect you would
need to seriously deform it more than a hundred times to break it. Even
solid core wire has 8 small wires in it you are using ethernet, twisted pair
cable and is reasonably resilient...if you are actually breaking a cable
after just a few uses I would be more than a bit surprised.

PS I have just conducted a quick test very rapidly cycling a cable segment
through 180 degrees, 100 times without it looking like failing. Note that
this test is significantly more stressful than anything you would do in
usage (eg. movement in usage would be unlikely to be anything like 180
degrees, rapid movement in the test creates heat buildup that you would not
have in  actual useage).

Frank Brand