[H-GEN] updated redhat 7.2 install disks available at humbug meeting

Tony Nugent tony at linuxworks.com.au
Thu Apr 11 07:15:44 EDT 2002

On Thu Apr 11 2002 at 19:39, Tony Bilbrough wrote:

> G'day Tony,
> I will take a 7.2 set, what ever.

Sure.

> But before I do though, what are the advantages of the upgrade?

The original redhat distribution releases have known bugs and
security problems.  Redhat periodically releases updates which need
to be applied to these installations.

These disks already have these updated packages put into the
installation itself, so they are there already right from the start.
(It is not trivial to create modified installers so that it all
works ok).  That is the only change, it is otherwise 100% original
redhat 7.2 packages (md5 and gpg checked) used in the installation,
with the obseleted packages removed.

So these installer disks give you two things... an installation that
is already updated (including updates to the installer itself), and
the updates themselves that can be applied to a previous
installation (with, eg, "rpm -Fvh").  If you just want the updates,
I've got them all as a separate cdrom image... this would save a lot
of time and bandwidth in downloading them all.

So far, over 600Mb of i386 update packages have been issued for
redhat 7.2, involving dozens of packages (not including updates to
updates...  eg, at least 3 kernel updates at ~100Mb/update).
Getting and applying all those updates to an original release
installation in a sane way is a painful task.

I'm planning to create a new iso snapshot for these disks with
whatever updates are available at the ftp sites as of tomorrow
(Friday) night.  I'll probably have around a dozen burned by the
time I get to the meeting, I'll take along my burner box so that I
can burn some more if necessary.  Hopefully others will have burners
there too, to make more copies.  (Warning: 700Mb disks are needed).

For those who like to update their systems to the "latest and
greatest", the next official redhat distribution release is due very
soon and I would recommend waiting for that to arrive (and settle
down) rather than using an updated 7.2.  Although I must say that
7.2 works very well for me and I wouldn't recommend against using
it.

Cheers
Tony
  Tony Nugent <Tony at linuxworks.com.au>