[H-GEN] MODEM String in GNOME

Frank Brand fbrand at uq.net.au
Thu May 31 04:47:41 EDT 2001

>I'm using gppp at the moment, but as you suggested, I'll try kppp.
>Yes my modem somehow need init string to getup and going. *pain*

Well you don't have to use kppp  I have not used gppp but I am sure it would
do the job.

IIRC the "Edit Modem Commands" button is on the first setup screen

>Will also try reducing the speed.

OK the extra command needed to reduce the speed is +ms=11,,,31200 or
+ms=12,,,40000 or some such thing whatever you decide. The 11,,,31200 sets
the modem to v34 protocol and 31.2 Kb and the 12,,,40000 sets it to v42 with
40 Kb (if I remember my protocols properly) but you can experiment with
that.

Just be mindful of the permissions too! If I recall correctly I did have a
few probs setting up the modem when I last used Red Hat but when I changed
to kppp everything seemed to go OK.