[H-GEN] isp connection advice for temporary visitor

Peter Good psgood at petesinternet.net
Wed May 23 04:01:38 EDT 2001

Real life? We're on the Freedom Deluxe, 512/128 plan.
on a usual apt-get upgrade, I average 53k from us.debian, mirror.aarnet also
gives a constant 53k, uploads to anywhere except modems has always stuck on
12k.

Only thing is we don't get a static ip, it is dynamic, but that doesn't
bother me much, I just got myself a dynamic dns redirector for a few
personal test webpages. Also, in the last 4 months since it was installed,
Telstra hasn't complained one bit about ports 80, 22, and 113 being open. I
think maybe they're a bit more relaxed about servers than @home is, because
we have a mate down in melbourne on o at h, and they positively scream if he
opens up anything.

All in all, we're quite happy with it. We got the extra users on ours, and
simply plugged the dsl modem into my switch, and then all our machines (3
of) are plugged into them seperately. They all get their own ip, which is
handy (we do spend a little bit of time on irc sessions, therefore we don't
get banned from the servers for supposed clones.).

I'd like to see a static ip on it, but ah well, such is life, If telstra
offer it, I'll take it, but for now we're happy with dynamic.

Summary? Well worth it in our eyes, we haven't had one problem with them and
the only downtime has been a scheduled one for upgrades.

Peter.