[H-GEN] isp connection advice for temporary visitor

Frank Brand fbrand at uq.net.au
Wed May 23 03:05:34 EDT 2001

>I disagree. ADSL is available in more locations nationwide than cable. I
>have heard people in Brisbane who cannot get cable say that they can get
>ADSL.

DSL is available widely across Brisbane now through any exchange that is
equipped with a multiplexer.

As Paul Gearon says, it works better when the distance to the exchange is
less than 5km. Most Brisbane houses are within 5 km from their exchange but
it is really not applicable to country areas.

A Telstra DSL connection at Rocklea is a bit unstable and slows down
sometimes but that may be the computer that it's on - it's a bit flaky, the
computer that is. Another system at South Brisbane (Pacific Internet) works
very well. I am currently doing an installation in Spring Hill so will see
what happens there.