[H-GEN] Yamaha 4416 CDRW and cdrecord

Paul Gearon pag at PISoftware.com
Tue May 8 01:29:36 EDT 2001

On Mon, 7 May 2001 bhepple at bit.net.au wrote:

> Don't know if this is related but I've had my own problems with a Yamaha
> CDR400t SCSI CDR:
>
> If I put in a audio or digital recording, it sometimes takes 2 or three
> goes to get the thing in - push it in and it comes out again after 30
> seconds or so. Eventually it is accepted and I can use it - it then
> seems to work fine.
>
> If I put in a blank recordable CD (e.g. to make a backup) the light
> flashes for about 30 seconds and then it's ejected. No matter how often
> I push it in, it comes on out again.
>
> The problem seems to be getting worse and worse as time goes by.

No ideas here.  It sounds nasty.

> Sigh! And no - Yamaha never replied to my emails except to refer me to
> their Sydney repair depot. Well, of course I never tried them - I'm now
> in a deadly embrace of "it's probably cheaper to buy a new one - or
> maybe it would be cheaper to get it repaired - only Sydney's a long way
> to send something for repair and it'll cost an arm and a leg to get it
> fixed - it's probably cheaper to buy a new one"

Well I was pleasantly surprised the other day to get a response from
Yamaha (especially since I explicitly told them I was running Linux).
They said that it was a problem they wanted a closer look, and could I
please phone their toll-free teck-support line.... on the East Coast of
the US.  Needless to say, I didn't call.  :-)

It's fixed now, and I'll confess (begrudgingly) I was a little embarressed
to discover my problem.  It was my new IDE drive that I was reading from.
:-}

When I ran mke2fs I didn't use the "-c" flag (this is my first ide drive,
and you don't need that flag for scsi drives).  The files I was reading
were on corrupted sectors.  I didn't recognise where the problem was
coming from because cdrecord was reporting it as a SCSI error and not an
error reading from the IDE drive.  (which is a bug in cdrecord as far as
I'm concerned).

So for those with suggestions, thanks.  I now have no problems with the
Yamaha 4416 with the latest firmware, so for anyone who owns one and was
considering the firmware update, then don't let my paranoid ravings put
you off.  :-)

Regards,
Paul Gearon

Software Engineer                Telephone:   +61 7 2876 2188
Plugged In Software              Fax:         +61 7 3876 4899
http://www.PIsoftware.com        PGP Key available via finger

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
(Translation from latin: "I have a catapult. Give me all the money,
or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.")