[H-GEN] Redhat 7.0 & Internet

Ben Fowler fowlerb at optushome.com.au
Wed Jul 11 10:53:45 EDT 2001

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 09:55:15PM +1000, David Underwood wrote:
> Having a bit of a problem,
> Modem  worked fine under previous installation, 6.2. Unfortunately after
> updating to 7.0 I simply cannot connect.
> Any suggestions out there.

Hi Dave (and all),

This type of problem could have many, many causes.  Does pppd just
fail outright?  Does enabling full logging in pppd reveal any clues
on what's breaking?  Can you rule out problems on the server end?
If you're using the Red Hat supplied GUI tools, have you double-checked
all your settings?  If all else fails, have you read appropriate man
pages and documentation? -- I'm serious: I once blew half a day trying
to get PPP working, and then after reading the HOWTO, had my link up
in ten minutes.

Asking here after all this certainly can't hurt: that's what we're
here for :-)  When posting, try to include as much information as
possible.

BTW, a practical tip: when you're trying to communicate with others,
the same conventions of written communication used in real-life
writing also apply online.  Using proper sentences, and good grammar
makes ones writing far more accessable, and is less likely to irritate
and put off the reader.

For a good guide to netiquette and good form online, check out
Anthony Town's guide here: http://www.humbug.org.au/netiquette.html

Anyway, good luck.

-warmest regards,

Ben.