[H-GEN] Stopping nameserver lookup for local subnet

Hilton Travis QuarkAudioVisual at email.com
Thu Feb 15 18:34:33 EST 2001

Hi John,

John Ryland spake thusly:

> On Wednesday 14 February 2001 15:13, Jason Henry Parker wrote:
> > What needs to be done to fix this, IMHO is for the masq box
> > (or the other, it doesn't really matter much) to be running
> > BIND or some other DNS server which will be authoritative
> > for the local zone.
>
> There is no way he needs to run a DNS server at home. Even
> he his network grows to 10 computers, syncing 10 /etc/hosts
> files is not hard. That is just way overkill.
>
> I have a masq box I use at home which is a 486 that has no
> HDD. It boots off a floppy. Do you think I bother running a
> DNS server on it?

I have a masq box here too.  It runs on an old Cx-133 I had floating
around.  It has 32MB RAM and a floppy - no HDD.  I run a DNS server on
this box to speed up DNS queries and to remove the need for hosts files
on my PCs.  I even run a DHCP server here too - saves the hassle of
statically assigning IPs and etc.

Way overkill?  Nah.  I think it makes life easier.  I run this stuff so
I don't have to explain, yet again, what settings need to be changed to
connect to my LAN if someone comes over to play LAN games.  "Just use
'server-assigned IP address' and all will be fine" is a lot easier!

Regards,
Hilton