[H-GEN] a sendmail question - whats missing?

Michael Anthon michael at anthon.net
Sun Aug 26 14:32:10 EDT 2001

<snip>
> effect its functionality as the domain is set up correctly.  My problem is
> with clients picking up emails.  Say from Outlook when trying to poll for
> mail, it refuses connection, no validation, nothing, just straight failure
> to connect.

Sendmail is not used to retrieve mail from a server.  You need to use either
IMAP or POP protocols to retrieve mail.  Sendmail implements the SMTP
protocol.  So, you are probably missing the appropriate server.  Install
either imap or pop daemon.  Most people are more familiar with POP and it's
a little easier to set up, but I prefer IMAP as it allows me to keep all my
mail on my server and access it via multiple methods.

Cheers
Michael