[H-GEN] Vi (well, Vim) or Emacs (Jove suggested)?

Serge Rey serge at rohan.sdsu.edu
Wed Aug 22 17:29:38 EDT 2001

On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 04:30:26PM +1000, Sarah Bernadette Kelly wrote:
> I'm going to take my life in my hands by asking the age-old question -
> should I use a Vi variant or an Emacs variant as my editor?

no danger to those who ask, only those who answer ;->

> I am currently using Vim, and slowly getting accustomed to it. I
> generally use it for coding, specifically Python for work, and Perl for
> uni. I just started working at ITS at the Uni of Wollongong (long story)

some useful info on using vim for python code can be found at:

> People who have used both - why did you choose one over the other?

i started with emacs but switched to vim. my primary reasons were:

a) i have a much easier time customizing vim than emacs
b) vim is less resource intensive.

reasons editor-holy-wars exist:

- people[1] probably spend more time in an editor than in other
  software,

- the longer one uses an editor, the more efficient one becomes with
  that editor, and the more appreciative of its power/functionality,

- the longer one uses an editor, the deeper the key movements become
  burned into their fingers, making the use of an alternative set-up an
  exercise in frustration, or a confirmation of how much good sense you
  posses for making the editor choice that you did.

the second reason presents something of a dilemma for someone new to both
editors. you really don't appreciate the power of an editor till you've
used it for a while. i would suggest picking one based on the feedback
you get from others and then sticking with that one for a while, using
it exclusively for all your editing. that forces you to explore
customization of the editor for your own tastes. if you come to like
that editor, stick with it. otherwise, give the other one a shot for the
same period of time[2], switching to it for exclusive use. at the end of
this second period you should be in a position to know which one you
will defend to the death ;->

--
Sergio J. Rey	http://typhoon.sdsu.edu/rey.html
I think there is a word market for about five computers.

[1] who don't use word processors.
[2] the length of the trial period is a tricky question. since you are
    working at a uni, maybe set the trial period to a semester/quarter?