[H-GEN] Bob Young Speaks

Frank Brand fbrand at uq.net.au
Mon Apr 23 09:02:19 EDT 2001

During our Netscape debate Ray Smith wrote an interesting reply to a post. He suggested that sometimes applications sell OSes.

This is a Bob Young response to a Slashdotter's question.

QUESTION
I'm a Linux enthusiast and contributor but I still don't see where it's "ready for the desktop" as I would understand that phrase.

Bob, if you had a non-technical friend or relative who currently uses Windows, Quicken, Office, IE and AOL, could you in good conscience tell him it would be in his best interest to use Linux instead? What exactly would be in it for him?

Bob:

Er, I am that non-technical friend, and I use a Red Hat Linux-based desktop exclusively.

The real answer to your question goes like this: No one (other than maybe some Slashdot reader) buys operating systems. People buy applications and then chose the operating system that best runs those applications. If you need to do desktop publishing you may go into a CompUSA store, find a copy of Aldus Pagemaker and then read on the side of the box that it runs on Windows or MacOS so you buy a computer with one of those OSes to run your app.

My training has always been in accordance with this reasoning. Do not start from an OS and try to adapt it to your needs... start with your needs and find apps, OSes and computers that provide for those needs best!

Frank Brand