[H-GEN] emacs + jde + debian + kde = no syntax hilite

Sarah Hollings sarahhollings at optushome.com.au
Tue Apr 17 09:09:25 EDT 2001

Howdy,

Just a break from slagging browsers for an Emacs help request.  And
Jason, I note you withhold some of your vituperance for all software
from Emacs, so perhaps you are a bit more familiar with it than me ;-)

I have an irritating problem with the Java environment set up for Emacs.
  It may in fact be more general than just the JDE, so if anyone's
familiar with lisp packages for Emacs they might have some ideas where I
can profitably start.

I installed a debian package of the emacs JDE (jde.sunsite.dk) and now
have this odd error with syntax highlighting which is a continual mote
in my eye, and constantly distracts me from doing my assignments!

Symptom:
****** Scenario 1
%emacs Somefile.java &

loads up fine, no error messages, but only the initial comments in the
file are highlighted as comments, and none of the code or following
comments is highlighted.  The jde menus are displayed, global-font-lock
option is turned on, but no syntax highlighting!!

****** Scenario 2
%emacs SomeFileThatDoesNotExistYet.java &

     emacs loads up and displays an error:
Signalling: (error "Lisp nesting exceeds max-lisp-eval-depth")
     and then three error lines :
semantic-bovinate-top-level
blah
blah
    repeated over and over again.

Despite the erorrs, Emacs runs fine, and when I type in some code into
the newly created blank file it now highlights!!!  When the file gets to
about 40 lines or so (or that seems to trigger it, I can't be certain)
suddenly all highlighting disappears and I'm back to Scenario 1.

This is the first time I have used Emacs in anger.  I don't want to have
to learn all the lisp programming etc etc.  I don't know how to install
different lisp packages, or byte-compile them - I'm not certain what
that means or how to do it, and I don't want to start down that road,
learning a bunch of new stuff, when I have two assignments to write
before next Monday!

The faq etc on the site jde.sunsite.dk says to make sure you have the
latest versions of everything.  Well I have used the jde debian package
from mirror.aarnet and would hope that all in there was compatible.

I once tried to download the tar.gz and spent hours and got nowhere.  It
all seemed to be installed but obviously I was missing something as none
of the jde menu's or features appeared.  Down that road lies madness,
I'm sure.  The debian package seems to work fine except for this
exasperating problem.

I am hoping there's something really obvious, some one line change
somewhere that will make all work as it should!

Any leads or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Sarah

ps .emacs file attached (renamed so mozilla's file finder can see it).
--
No-one can tell you what is the Matrix,        Mb: +61 416045401
you have to see it for yourself             www: storybridge.org
                                       email: sez at storybridge.org
               snailmail: PO Box 299, Red Hill, Q 4059, Australia