[H-GEN] Linux Problems

Frank Brand fbrand at uq.net.au
Wed Sep 6 21:29:51 EDT 2000

Rob Kearey wrote:

> Wyrde modem protocol problems can still occur. You might want to use
> ati4 (or the equivalent) to examine your modem stats for that call. It
> sounds a bit like the old retrain-to-death thing.

It is possibly a modem problem but why do I not have the slightest problem using
Windows on the same modem over the same phone line to the same ISP using exactly
the same box (several boxes do the same thing actually, using both RED HAT and
MANDRAKE - not surprising really as the only difference there might be kppp rather
than the Red Hat dialler). I would have thought that, if it was a modem thingie
and independent of the operating system that Windows would suffer similarly when
connecting?

What is the retain-to-death thing? not heard of that one.

Frank Brand