[H-GEN] Redhat 7.0 - network cards

Craig Eldershaw celdersh at parc.xerox.com
Sun Oct 1 17:16:11 EDT 2000

>I have just installed RedHat 7.0 and most things went smoothly.
>However, it detected only my VIA-Rhine based card, and not my NE2000
>card.  This is a tad annoying as I don't know how to add a card
>manually,

The kernel will, by default, only auto-detect one NIC.  To force it to
find the second, add something like

   append= "ether=0,0,eth1"

to /etc/lilo.conf .

>nor where to give it the IO=0x300 option.

In the above line, the first 0 is the IRQ, the second is the IO address.
0 means auto-probe, but you can tell it the correct value if it needs a
hand.

Alternatively, if you are useing modules, then adding something like

    alias eth1 ne
    options ne io=0x300

to /etc/modules.conf may do the trick.

The Ethernet-HOWTO availible on your favourite Sunsite mirror will have
more details.

C.